Nature/ Type: Thick & Chunky Butterfly Wooden Puzzle
Rating: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
Recommended age: 1 - 3 year-old
Who would love this: Young kids! I think this is a beautiful "starter puzzle" for small children.
It’s hard to resist a beautifully-crafted wooden puzzle, especially when it’s coming from a brand that is known for its sustainable quality. We found this Qtoys “Butterfly Knob Puzzle” from our local toy library recently, and we were instantly captivated by its beauty.
Why I love ❤️ this toy:
(1) 9 Pieces Puzzle - Mr Butterfly sure has his attitude! Arms crossed and with a smug (but friendly) grin, it’s as if Mr Butterfly is eagerly waiting for kids to take up the puzzle challenge and brace themselves for some entertaining logic test! This puzzle has 9 removable pieces. There is an “obvious” six-legged yellow body that would be positioned right at the middle, separating two pairs of stunning wings of symmetrical patterns (4 puzzle pieces on each side). First, the kids would need to match up 4 sets of two “identical” pieces that have the same shape and size. However, as the pattern of the corresponding pieces are painted in “mirror image”, the kids would need to figure out which of it belongs to the left and which other belongs to the right. What you need is a use of visual discrimination, and a little of trials-and-errors.
(2) Base With Outline - The base shows the black outline of the shape of the puzzle pieces, which is a nice touch to provide some hints to the kids on where a particular puzzle piece should be placed. I love it gives kids an opportunity to “self-correct”. I love that the puzzle is easy, with a hint of challenge, but not overly complicated.
(3) Bright Colours - I love the “daring” use of colours. The wings are in red/ brown, blue/ yellow, black/ white, and green/ pink. They are vibrantly attractive!
(4) Solid & Chunky - The base and the puzzle pieces are very chunky (and probably the thickest type I have ever seen). The base is a little heavy and solid. I love the smoothly-polished knobs on each puzzle pieces. I love how the knobs seem to “blend in” beautifully into the wings design and give a “3D dots” element to them. The round pegs are useful for training up pincer grasp skill of young kids.
(5) Safety Compliance - Qtoys are made of plantation timber using non-toxic, child-safe materials, and are in-compliant with strict safety standards.
Where to buy this:
Enjoy the video!